On June 24th at 10:07am after 16 hours of active labor, 29 hours after the initial stages of my water breaking, Baby Girl K arrived into our family with lots of dark brown hair!
She came much earlier than anticipated, but she was welcomed at home in a wonderful, yet intense, water birth. It was quite the mind game to labor for so much longer than I had planned on (her labor was more than twice as long as both of her brothers’ births combined, and that’s just considering active labor!) and was exhausting since it occurred mainly overnight. In the end, I got a beautiful daughter out of it, and we couldn’t be more infatuated with her! She was a tiny thing at only 5lbs, but she’s a great nurser and has far surpassed her birth weight at 2 weeks old. Her brothers are loving having her here and constantly want to hold, kiss and talk to her. She prefers to sleep with lots of noise, so it’s been a great match with these three!
Over the last two weeks, we’ve settled in quite nicely to our new family of five. Jony begins working again this next week, so we’ll start to get our true taste of real life with three kids. If baby girl remains as sweet as she has been, it should be a relatively seamless transition!
We’re currently living in the chaos that is unavoidable when doing a major remodel. Since baby girl isn’t getting her own nursery for us (me) to decorate since she’ll be staying with us for a good portion of the beginnings of her life, we figured we’d take the opportunity to actually put some effort into OUR bedroom. After the initial painting when we first moved in, we’d done nothing in there in over six years. It was pretty needed, and the idea of that being captured in our newborn photos was embarrassing to me. So, here we are!
About three years ago before G was born, we had a run in with some termites. We got the house treated and all has been quiet on that front since then; however, we never actually checked to see if we needed to make any repairs in the wood around our outside window. We figured that this would be a perfect time to do that since we were going to be re-painting the drywall, anyways. Once we got that set in our head, we decided to just take ALL the drywall down since the previous owners had done some terrible patchwork all around the room. This decision turned our remodel into a major overhaul of our bedroom!
Here’s the break-down of what’s going on:
- tearing down current drywall/ removing current trim
- removing all the old, insufficient insulation
- replacing insulation
- repairing termite damage
- electrical overhaul, including finally putting in a lightswitch!
- replace drywall (we’re hiring out the taping and floating)
- remove popcorn ceiling and re-texture
- put trim/doors back up
- total hallway closet overhaul- new shelves, mainly
And now, the before photos. I even included the terrible mess it was in, proving in photographic form that we need an overhaul of organization in there.